Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Monday, February 27, 2012
FOR LENT 2012
to stir a response in love and good works” (Heb 10:24)
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
Saturday, February 25, 2012
I have the day pretty much to myself since my husband is on retreat. My plan is to get a plan today. Total quiet and solitude usually work, so I am going to step away from the computer and focus.
Friday, February 24, 2012
1/4 cup Tahini paste
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons hot water
1 can chickpeas, drained
Combine all ingredients in a food processor, blend until smooth. Add more water if you'd like the hummus a thinner consistency.
Serve with pita bread and raw vegetables.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Monday, February 20, 2012
I didn’t sleep very well, maybe anticipating leaving? I took it easy this morning, a perfect day, sunny and clear. Elisa isn’t coming in until 5 for dinner, so I decided to walk to St. Mary's Cathedral, slowly, for 1:10 pm mass. I walk through the retail district and Hyde Park, stopping in Myers department store for quite a bit. Pretty high end as far as clothes go. I will say the clothes were nicer than what I see at home. Then I had fried rice for lunch and kept walking on. I walked around the church, wishing I could take pictures inside. I spent about 45 minutes looking at all the windows, stations, and statues. Then I prayed a rosary, the glorious mysteries, what else could I have prayed in that place? Then Mass, which was very full. Then I made my way to the Darling Bridge and walked over to the other side of the harbor. Sunny, sunny day, love it.
Elisa came in and we went to Harbour View Hotel for dinner, an authentic Aussie pub, right under the Harbour Bridge, so cool. No pictures, I forgot my camera. I ate fish and chips and had a Tooheys beer.
My last day in Australia. I woke up, dressed and walked to the Harbour Bridge. It was hot, sunny and mostly clear, some clouds but no rain. I walked up the steps to the bridge entrance, I was so excited. I realize that I have never walked across a bridge like this. It takes me about 20 min to walk across, with stopping to take pictures. It takes longer to walk back because I see people climbing the bridge and stop to watch and take pictures. It is less dramatic than I thought; no harnesses or climbing as if up a mountain or rocks. Rather, there are steps, steep ones, which they use to go up to a platform sort of stop and then they start to go over the bridge on what seems to be a narrow walkway with sides. It is narrow and very high. Everyone is wearing a blue and grey jumpsuit, a black pack around their waist, blue baseball cap and a headset. They are attached to the bridge with a strap on the railing and at the waist. The view must be breathtaking, but the walk was enough for me!
I wandered around The Rocks for a bit, found a sandwich shop and had a mozzarella, tomato and basil sandwich with a coffee that I ordered with only slightly more thought than at home, a tall black with milk. I had my lunch in the park, walked a bit more and went back to the hotel to clean up before Mass and going to visit Elisa in Waroonga .
Friday, February 17, 2012
|More Quick Takes at Betty Beguiles!|
2. The adult classes at work are progressing very well. The Introduction to the Bible is growing every week. However, yesterday I gave out the last set of books for the class, so I think we are full!
3. Lent begins on Wednesday, Feb 22, with Ash Wednesday. Yes, I'm sure you already knew that, but just in case you needed a reminder. Also, FYI, it is not a Holy Day of Obligation. I still think it is a great way to begin the season though, so go anyway. Here's a questions, does your parish distribute ashed during Mass only, at a Distribution of Ashes service, whenever anyone comes into the office and asks for them or do you leave some in Church for people to do it themselves? Not sure if the last one is correct, but it I have heard it happens.
4. Our parish celebrated Confirmation last Sunday. 110 ninth graders received the sacrament. I was a sponsor for a friend; after they were confirmed, the smell of chrism filled the air around me. So beautiful and it reminded me of all the ways Catholism fills the senses.
5. Yesterday my husband went and picked up a pink chair for me from a thrift shop. We saw it last weekend when we were out looking for a table or chest for our family room. The chair is very nice and will go in my room. My room is where I sew, work, and now I can read in my new comfortable chair. Did I meantion the chiar is pink? My favorite color!
6. I wanted to include some pictures, but our laptop is in the shop and the desktop we have is quite old so I avoid demanding much of it in case it rebels. Besides, this week there appears to be a computer virus in the air in our house since we were using my work laptop while ours was being repaired and it is now in the shop with a virus! Just trying to keep at least one working, however slowly!
7. I am working on our new parish website. The designer is doing his job and later today I will have training via phone to learn how to add our content. It is an Our Sunday Visitor product and comes pre-loaded with Catholic content if you choose that feature. I am very excited about it and will show you as soon as it is goes live.
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
The Five Best Pieces of Jesuit Wisdom
Friday, February 3, 2012
World Nutella Day. If you don't know what Nutella is I feel so sad for you. Go to the store and get some. Eat it. On bread, off the spoon, on ice cream, off the spoon, with peanut butter, off the spoon, on a cracker, off the spoon, as cake filling, off the spoon. Oh yea, go get some.
2. Lots of planning going on in my office. Lent is coming, First Penance, Confirmation retreat and three adult formation classes going on. The adult classes are popular, each one has between ten and twenty-five people. Each group is wonderful and few people come to two classes, with one woman coming to all three! They are looking for spiritual nourishment.
3. Going on vacation to Australia made me realize two things about myself I had put to the back of my mind. One, I really love to travel and explore new places and two, cities energize me tremendously.
4. My wardrobe is in serious disarray. I have about 3 outfits that look good and fit properly. Not one pair of jeans or pants, only one dress, a bunch of things that are slightly small, tons that are way too big and some that are a little big. But, since I am back on HCG and committed to losing more weight, I am bearing with it, just feeling cranky about it all. I guess I need to fix a few things this weekend, until I am ready to actually sew some new things.
5. I have some beautiful new fabric that was donated to the parish from a parishioner's shop. One is a gorgeous pink, that I may make into a skirt for our Valentine's lunch and fashion show. It depends if I have time this weekend.
6. I decided to read through the Bible this year. I have the My daily Catholic Bible and started Feb 1, since I was gone the first part of January. I am reading February and January readings so I catch up so I'll finish it this year. I figured it was time.
7. It time for some lunch, so I will walk to the store and pick up some food, since I didn't pack anything today.
Today the 7 Quick Takes are hosted here!