Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Grace

Tomorrow begins the season of Lent. To me, Lent is a time of emptying myself so I can be filled with God's grace. The question I am currently wrestling with is, "What is grace?" That's because I am currently taking a course in Grace and Christology. So, is grace given to us because we deserve it, need it, merit it, want it, or do we get grace because of the infinite love of the Father? I believe, along with Karl Rahner (as I have just read), that grace is truly a gift from God simply because He loves us. That is a huge over-simplification of what Rahner says. My point, though, is that grace is a gift that God wants to shower us with so that we can have a greater share in His love and of course, His mercy. Some people do not see grace in their lives. I see it everywhere as long as I stop and look. It is in the stopping and looking that I realize God is present and offering me grace. His grace is what helps me be the person I am called to be, it gives strength and courage to my mind and spirit to continue on, always. But I must accept it from Him.

May God give us the grace to enter into this Lenten season so we can empty ourselves and then filled with holy longing for the Resurrection of His Son.

No comments: