Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year, New Hopes and Dreams

Are resolutions the same as goals? When I say, "I resolve to lose 10 pounds." Isn't that really a goal? What is the difference between a resolution and a goal?

according to dictionary.com resolution means (among other possibilities):

1.a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
2.the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.

while goal means: the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.

So, then, the resolution is the act of making decision while a goal is the result of the decision. I think I get it now. And to think, I majored in Linguistics and have been an English teacher!

So, what are my resolutions? I have a few, in different categories.
Personal:
1. I resolve to take care of my body. As I once a heard a speaker say, our bodies are a Temple of the Holy Spirit, not a Cathedral.
2. Continue to learn how to quilt.
3. Make a new goal each month.
4. Learn to let go.

Spiritual:
1. Pray for those I dislike.
2. Fast once a week for particular intention.
3. Go to Adoration once a week.
4. Continue with my spiritual sisters group.

Educational
1. Complete my Master's degree, without any extensions.

Professional:
1. Increase participation in our ministries.
2. Create a Spirituality for Ministers program.
3. Design a retreat day for ministry leaders.
4. Stop working too many hours.

All of these resolutions will help me achieve my goal of being a person who takes care of myself and those I love. I am searching, for what this next phase of my life will bring me. A change is on the horizon and I do not what it is or where it will lead me, but I will be ready.

No comments: