Sunday, March 8, 2009

Beloved Son

Today we hear the Gospel reading of the Transfiguration. In it, God speaks from the clouds and says "This is my beloved Son. Listen to Him." Mark 9:7b

Another time in scripture we hear the words "my beloved Son" is when Jesus is baptized in the Jordan. In Mark we hear "You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased." (1:11)

In praying with these two scenes from Jesus' life I came to understand two important things. One is that I want very much to listen to Him. However, like many, I often fall short because I want to listen to Jesus the same way I listen when I speak with others. And it just doesn't work that way. Often we beg and plead for the answer from God as to what we should do in our lives? Often, we would have the answer if we only listened to Jesus. But to listen means that we must stop talking. It also means we must study scripture and pray the scriptures. It means spending time with him in different ways; at Mass, before the Blessed Sacrament, praying with others and praying alone.

The other is that just as the Father is pleased with the Son, he is also pleased with me. And with each of us who are trying, to the best of our ability to serve him.

Lent is always a good time to turn ourselves closer to pleasing our Father and listening to Jesus. It is only by taking an inventory of our lives and cleaning out the sin, that we can have room for our Savior on Easter.

No comments: