Sunday, November 29, 2009

Advent Reflection Day 1

Today begins the season of Advent. I have set up some spiritual goals for myself and will share my thoughts each day.
Today I read, "Our examination, then, must penetrate to the very roots of our actions and scrutinize deep down in our hearts the motives which inspire our actions." (In Conversation with God)
How do I get to the bottom of my actions, that is the basic question which I need to answer. In other words, why am I doing what I am doing? Saturday night friends were over for an evening of praise and worship and I read from scripture, "that our God may make you worthy of his calling and powerfully bring to fulfillment every good purpose and every effort of faith,
that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, in accord with the grace of our God and Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Thes 1:11-12).
This tells me that I must do everything for the purpose of being made worthy of God's call and to glorify him. But often I do things to glorify myself. Or maybe even sometimes to call attention to someone else who is not doing what I think they should be doing. God is certainly asking me to ponder my actions and discern who they are serving.

No comments: