Monday, February 8, 2010

The Agony and The Ecstasy


I read Irving Stone's biographical novel about Michelangelo. Granted, it was a novel, but based in facts about his life and his work. It was very interesting. There is a quote from the book that really struck me: "He had always loved God. In his darkest hours he cried out, "God did not create us to abandon us." His faith in God sustained him;"

Michelangelo had many troubles and yet he produced some of the greatest works of art in the world. He was dedicated to his work, to the Church, and to God. Above all, his desire to create was like a fire within himself and often drove him beyond what it seemed one man could accomplish. His fire and his love of God make him a man to emulate.
Many years ago I went to Italy and was able to see some of his work in person. The Sistine Chapel was unbelievably beautiful, but it was so crowded and I felt like we rushed through it. I recall seeing the Pieta and being overwhelmed by it and all it represents.

1 comment:

Briana Schalow said...

What an incredible book! I haven't read it in a few years, but when my husband and I recently traveled to Rome, it was on my mind as we viewed his work. Just amazing.