Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Eternal Rest

Today was a very sad day. I was in the office about 15 minutes when a call comes in from a parishioner's son that she has died in her sleep. The woman, Gloria, was 81. She was a greeter , an usher, an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, she volunteered at the hospital, often in the cancer center where patients received their chemo treatment. Each Saturday at our Vigil Mass she was at the same door, passing out hugs and smiles along with the song sheet. If she was not at her post, the substitute was continually asked where is Gloria. She told her regulars when she would be on vacation so they wouldn't worry. She was a light for all, sending the staff notes or emails thanking us for our hard work, staying n touch with people who were sick and couldn't get to Mass. I don't know all she did, but I know, she will be missed by our parish. Her family will also miss her. She was always ready to lend a hand and brought joy to any task, from taking up the collection to making coffee to taking communion to the hospital.
I called her friends to let them know and each one was strong at first and then began sobbing. Each person was partially in disbelief, considering each had contact with her the day before. She had emailed me as well, a joke, but I can't bring myself to delete it. I will never get an email from her again.
Please pray for her and her family.
Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

No comments: