Monday, July 5, 2010

Rejoice

"Nevertheless, do not rejoice because the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice because your names are written in heaven."  Luke 10:20
This was the last line of Sunday's Gospel and when I read it I was again struck that in the end, what we do or have done, is not the point. Jesus has sent his disciples out by twos to do his work and they come back proud and slightly surprised.  Which is often my feeling when things go the 'right' way.  But then Jesus reminds them that though the work is all well and good and necessary, it is not the end.  The end is that we belong to him.  And that all we do is about him, not ourselves. 
When I surrender, God achieves greatness.  The act of surrendering means I let go and allow God in and and get out of the way. 
There are many days when I pray that I am getting out of the way and surrendering.  The verse reminds me to rejoice because I am a child of God, nothing less, and therefore, nothing more is necessary.

No comments: