Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Alms

"Give alms and behold, everything will be clean for you." Luke 11:37


At first glance it seem only natural that the stewardship director would like this verse. But, do not be quick as to decide why. When I heard it proclaimed it hit me that 'alms' does not mean only money or goods. I thought, "alms means everything I have, my thoughts, feelings, desires, needs, all of me; it's not so much about stuff but about me." I really thought about this all day and it makes such perfect sense. (Well, Jesus has that tendency now, dosen't he?)

If I empty myself, i.e. give alms, then I will be clean. And if I am clean, it means I am ready to be filled with what God has in store for me. I must detach from whatever keeps me from being clean. Of course, this is a process that takes prayer and time and dedication and grace. The best way is to frequent the sacraments, especially confession and Eucharist. Another way is to pray before the Blessed Sacrament. Ask God for the grace to detach, to give alms, so that all will be clean for you. I know I will be going to God in prayer for this grace.

No comments: