So this may seem an odd topic for a spiritual post, but here goes. I needed to buy a new hamper since our current one was falling apart, literally, the wicker or whatever it is, was breaking up and then our clothes were catching on it. So, I looked around in quite a few stores - no luck. Moved to the Internet - possibilities, though my husband vetoed the $159.00 hamper. Are you wondering what my problem is with hampers? Okay, I wanted one with a lid, not wicker or plastic, would hold more than two shirts, and not cost more than $30. It's a dirty clothes holder that two people see. Finally, I find one on-line, but it and get it. It's ripped. Return it, get a new one, open it, and...it's ripped. I really like this hamper, light colored, lid, $24.95, not wicker or plastic; but ripped!
Today I went to Target, my last hope, no exaggeration. I found a very utilitarian, white plastic hamper with a lid and wheels, $17.99. It's not what I really wanted, but it will work. In the store I was having a running internal dialogue with myself about a hamper, A HAMPER! I eventually decided a few things:
1. There are people in this world that had no place to live, let alone clothes to put in a hamper.
2. It's Lent, and a good time to practice emptying oneself, so I should let go of my need to have a nice hamper.
3. I could cover it in fabric to make it look pretty. Bad idea, see #2.
4. In the big picture, does it matter? No, it really is not important that I don;t 'like' the hamper.
5. The real questions is, will this hamper do it's job? Yes, it will. The dirty clothes will be in one place and BONUS - we can wheel it to the laundry room.
6. There's more, but i think you get the idea.
So, the spiritual part: In my letting go of my perceived hamper needs I learned that I spend too much time thinking about what I deserve in life and not enough time being grateful for what I have. I am in this negative mode of seeing what is missing, instead of seeing what is there. Do I have every material thing I want? No. Do I have every material thing I need? Yes and more.
Lent has just begun and it is already working.