Monday, May 23, 2011

Book Review - The Doubter's Novena

The Doubter's Novena, Nine Steps to Trust with the Apostle Thomas by Mike Aquilina and Christopher Bailey is an awesome little book.  When I say "little" I am only referring to the actual size of the  book and number of pages; the content is very BIG!  Of course, I did not follow instructions and use this book as a novena.  I just couldn't put it down once I started reading.  Each day of the novena begins with scriptural and/or historical information about Thomas, then we move into the contemporary world and learn how we can be "Just like Thomas."  Each day concludes with a prayer to God or asks for Thomas' intercession. 
I enjoyed learning about St. Thomas and have a new appreciation for him.  I realize that I am like him in some ways; I find it hard to trust at times, I fear the unknown but I desire to foucs on what is important, namely Jesus and detach myself from earthly things.  Thomas is willing to do whatever Jesus asks of him and I want to do the same.
There are many quotable snippets in this book, but I will leave you with this thought:  "What God is asking us for is a bit of trust - trust in God , first of all, and trust in the people made in his image.  When we push our limits and go out into the world, we find that there are good people everywhere waiting for us, hungry for the message we have to bring them."
This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on The Doubter's Novena . They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.

No comments: