Thursday, September 15, 2011

Book Review: Francis: The Journey and the Dream

I love St. Francis.  I was raised in a Franciscan parish in New York and went to St. Frances Prep high school which was run by Franciscan brothers.  One of my favorite movies is Brother Sun, Sister Moon and we played the music from that movie in the folk group.  This book was actaully written with the intention of it being published at the same time as the moive was released.  So, with great anticipation I choose this book from the Catholic Company reviewer program.  I was not disappointed.
This is the fortieth anniversary edition of the original written by Murray Bodo, O.F.M., a Franciscan priest.  It is a wonderful little book, powerfully yet simply written with so much to think about on every page.  I read it from cover to cover, but you could pick it up and read any one of the seventy-seven short chapters as part of your daily prayer time. 
The book is not overtly biographical, but you will learn about St. Francis as you read.  The book opens as Francis lays dying, pains "beginning to dull his senses, and he slowly slipped back into his memories of the past..." (pg 3).  Through the words of Fr. Bodo we follow Francis as he tells about his dream, his desire to live out the Gospel by embracing Lady Poverty and leading others to do the same. 
I know I will be going back to this book again and again for the truth it contains and how it shines light onto my thoughts.  One of the chapters  that struck me is titled The Journey and The Dream.  In it, Francis recalls how Jesus had sent him the Dream and made the Journey possible and sustained him with the Eucharist.  "The Bread of Life had sustained him on his Journey and the presence of Jesus kept the Dream alive" (pg 180).  There are other images from that chapter which have stayed with me, but instead of telling you, I encourage you to get a copy of this book.  It would also make a great gift for everyone!

 Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Francis - The Journey and the Dream. They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.

No comments: