Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Book Review: Becoming:The Woman God Made You to Be

Reading books is one of my favorite things to do.  Dreaming about writing a book is my second favorite thing to do.  I wish I had written this book!  Becoming: The Woman God Made You to Be by Tammy Evevard is one of the best books for women I have ever read.  Tammy is so real and genuine, her personality comes through and I wish I could have coffee with her.  I'd buy and bring the biscotti!  The examples and stories she uses are so refreshingly honest.  She quotes some of my favorite people/authors: Mother Theresa, Henri Nouwen, and C.S.Lewis to name a few. There are eleven chapters running the gamut from "Beloved" to "I Hate Kids,"  each one another step toward wholly allowing yourself to become the woman God made you to be.
I marked quite a few lines in the book, but this one sums up what Tammy is saying, "It's time to stop playing it safe and start taking risks.  Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks.  Don't try to be who you're not.  Be yourself.  Laugh at yourself.  Quit holding out.  Quit holding back.  Quit running away.  Chase the lion" (102).  The final chapter of twenty five things Tammy has learned in life go from lipstick to heroes to shoes to paint; every item on the list spoke to me.
I already have a short list of people to give this book, my daughter being #1.  If you have ever believed that you were "less than," bought into the lies of  the "isms" in the world or just wondered exactly why God made you, give yourself the gift of this book.  You will not regret it.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Becoming: The Woman God Made You to Be. They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.

No comments: