Friday, January 4, 2013

7 Quick Takes


Today we are not hosted at Conversion Diary but at Moxie Wife, she'll explain why. Prayers for all.

1.  My cold is gone.  Took three days to get rid of it with no drugs; only natural remedies including Silver Shield, Vitamin D3, some tinctures and lots of liquids.  

2.  I have already learned much in 2013:  you can overload on watching Frasier; dying poinsettias are very messy and not pretty at all; I don't know how to take a compliment.

3.  I had a date with my love last night complete with a walk by the beach in the dark.  The ocean was beautiful and I loved how we could hear the waves coming up onto the shore and see the white foam rushing onto the sand.  We also discussed plans for 2013.  I've decided I like the word plans better than resolutions.  

4.  My cousin is coming to visit from Italy.  She'll be here six weeks.  I am going to brush up on my Italian so we can talk, though she speaks English.  We write brief notes to each other now; she writes to me in English and I write to her in Italian.  As with most people, I can understand more than I can speak or write unless I use the language. I also mix in way too much Spanish, so I'll have to watch that or end up sounding rather odd.

5.  I am reading Les Miserables.  It is just a bit over 1200 pages; piece of cake, no?  I just started but the style is definitely different from contemporary authors and I'm not sure if I can do it but I'll try my best.  I saw the movie and it was well done.  I am actually planning on seeing it again, which is not my usual.

6.  I am already planning for Lent.  I wish I could wait but I can't if I want things in place for the season.  Yesterday I ordered some Lenten booklets for the parish and the pastor and I roughed out some plans which I need to set dates to and get help to implement.  All this while it is still Christmas.

7.  Speaking of Christmas, the best gift this year was our son surprising us from Atlanta on Christmas Eve. He drove down with his girlfriend, bringing all the presents we mailed and delicious treats she baked.  The look on my dad's face was priceless!  My mom of course started to cry but I rescued the food and wine before she dropped it. It was great to have the family together to celebrate.  We had a great Christmas Eve dinner, went to morning Mass; and  than a great breakfast. They went back Christmas Day after long naps.

2 comments:

Kathleen Basi said...

Be warned that a lot of Les Mis is NOT story, but long, long essays on topics around the story--history, the culture of the time, etc. The story is not hard to read, but the essays can be. If you have trouble, don't feel like you're cheating to skip to the next chapter and see if he's getting back to the story. :) I will say that the chapter on the Paris sewers actually was VERY interesting. In a twisted sort of way. :)

Jenn said...

Awww...that Peter's pretty amazing. Must have a great mama! :)