Friday, January 9, 2015

7 Quick Takes - Happy New Year!

I've been writing these in my head since last night,  It's just been that kind of a day and I didn't even go to work!

1.  What seems like forever ago I started my husband's alb.  And it was finally finished by the time he needed it and not really a moment sooner.  I was happy to be done with it.  Oh, did I say done with it?  Well, I suppose I was DONE with it, but it wasn't done with me.  After a few wearings and comparing it to the other albs men were wearing around the altar, I determined it was too short.  There was no way around it; something needed to be done.  Last night the SOMETHING was finally  accomplished.  If you know how to sew, I beg you,  do not look closely, If you think sewing is akin to making puff pastry or painting a masterpiece or flying to the moon, go ahead and look and be amazed.  And, honey, I love you and am so very proud of you and this journey you are on, but another alb from my hands is not in your future.

2.  It passed the laundry test!  Yea. You know, with really special pieces of clothing, so not that often, I get nervous that the clothes I make will fall apart in the washing machine.The alb is okay; washed quite well and needed minimal ironing.  It was not easy ironing an alb which is 5 1/2 feet long.  It may be longer than that, since now it is almost ankle length.   I'm not making this up, my husband is tall, very tall, as in 6'5" tall. Are you done listening to me blather about this alb?  I'm done talking about it, again, for the last time.

3.  I set a few goals for myself this year, the most important in regard to prayer.  So far, it is working out in a most excellent manner.  The other big one is to stop saying yes automatically.  I was good at it with our children, but I seem to have lost the skill once I stopped using it regularly.  I hope to recapture it soon.

4.  Check lists, to-do lists, packing lists, book lists, lists of lists - love them all.  However, lately I've forgotten to look at my lists so stuff is falling into an abyss and I find myself back-tracking and putting out fires.  Not a fun way to start the year.  Need to make the lists and then use the lists.  I think that's key.

5.  The other day Trip Adivisor sent me an email with the subject line, "Deanna, You need a vacation"  How did they know?

6.  The rational part of my brain is saying "finish these takes and go to bed."  The other part of my brain is saying, "stay up and work on those lists".  The question is, is that the irrational part of my brain, the hard working part, the crazy part, the part that really hopes the iced coffee at 5 pm was decaf or the fun part?

7.  I went to the gym today and a mom was nursing her son on the couch in the locker room.  So sweet and I thought, "wouldn't it be nice to have a baby again?"  I LOL'd in my head.

For more quick takes, visit This Ain't the Lyceum

No comments: