Monday, December 31, 2012

Consoling the Heart of Jesus - Book Review

I read many books of all sorts.  I devour books that have anything to do with Ignatian Spirituality.  I pulled this out last night, intending to browse through and then plan when I would read it.  Hah!  I finished it this morning.   Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat by Br. Michael E. Gaitley, MIC is a great read.  It reminded me of talking to good friends who have lots to say, only the book is  organized. He weaves in the different ideas of Saints Ignatius, Faustina and Therese de Lisieux with the theme of mercy and trust underpinning it all.  When Gaitley transitions from teaching to praying he tells you.  He makes little jokes in the text.  He encourages you to do what  you can and not worry about the 'right' way of doing this retreat; the idea is to do it, on a weekend, in little pieces of time, whatever fits into your lifestyle and schedule.  The best part of the book was the conclusion.  Not because I was done reading but because of the great ideas as to how to add prayer in your daily life.  His breakdown of St. Ignatius's examen is one of the best I have read.  Br. Michael includes two appendices; one on the Rules for Discernment of Spirits (for Little Souls) and the other is selections from the Diary of St. Faustina.  He includes an extensive Reference and Notes section as well.
If I were to use one word to describe this book it is accessible. Doing this retreat would be a great way to start the new year or Lent.  Don't pass this up if you are looking for a way to give a boast to your spiritual life.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Consoling the Heart of Jesus. The Catholic Company has great gift ideas for all seasons of the liturgical year, be sure to check out their Advent selection and Catholic Christmas Gifts.


1 comment:

Renée Lin said...

This book made a big impression on me, too. I am especially grateful that the author included so much primary source material from the diary of St. Faustina - it is life-changing!